My vegetable garden is still alive and growing fast! Hard to believe right? I waited too long to thin the carrots out it so it was quite a task. The gardening book I have said that you should cut them off with scissors at ground level so you don't damage the roots. You're supposed to only have one carrot plant every 3 inches. Well I had about 30. It took me 30 minutes of triming to thin them out and I probably did more damage to them thinning them than if I had left them alone. Only time will tell though...
I thinned out my onions as well. They were much easier to thin than the carrots. Even though they were only about 3-4 inches tall and no onion bulb had formed yet, they definitely had that onion smell!
Crazy watching a butterfly that was visiting the garden
The kids watching one of the cats stalk the butterfly
Overall of the garden
The top section is cucumbers, the middle is onion rows, and the bottom is 3 rows of carrots and 2 bell pepper plants
White potatoes before I covered them up
Extra cucumber plants I threw in a pot
I'll post some more pictures of the garden soon. The cucumber plants are growing like crazy and I need to start running them up the tomato cages I put in. The potatoes kind of got away from me and didn't cover them up when I was suppose to (when they are 6-7 inches tall). I need to get more soil because the giant bag I had wasn't enough for all 3 trashcans. As a side note, the butterfly pictured above was eventually caught by the cat. Hubby was slow to react because he was apparently unaware that cats will do anything to get a bug/insect/anything they want and the butterfly was biten to death. He now resides in a glass jar on Crazy's nightstand.
No comments:
Post a Comment