Hubby drove our truck to Mississippi, so that forced me to fly back to Virginia with three kids by myself. I would not wish that on anyone. Well, that's not quite true… We flew Southwest out of Austin and it was hectic from the moment we got to the airport first thing in the morning until we finally arrived home. Luckily the Southwest ticket agent took pity on my situation and issued both of my parents gate passes allowing them to get past security and help us to our gate. I couldn't have done it without them! We barely had time to say goodbye before we boarded the plane. We had two layovers on our way to Virginia but we only changed planes once. You could see the fear in people's eyes when they viewed the empty places around me and my three kids. No one wants to sit next to three rambunctious kids on a flight.
Overall you could say the flights went well. There were no major accidents. I think a drink was spilled on each flight but luckily not on me! Once a nice man sitting across the aisle from us saved Boo's drink from tumbling into her lap. He also helped her stow her backpack under her seat for landing. On another leg of our trip the nice gentleman sitting behind us entertained Hiccup between the seats for half of the flight. Kindness from strangers is always so appreciated. Although I have to say I'm disappointed in my gender! Not once did a woman try to help me! I got the impression, "better you than me," from most of them. Only men helped us on our very long, trying journey. The one woman who we encountered only made me want to slap her. As we were leaving the plane, in a rush to catch our next flight, an older lady (I use the term "lady" loosely here) turned to us and said she was very impressed how well behaved the kids were. Wait for it… Then proceeded to look right at Mr. R and said she sure hoped his mom would be giving him something good for a reward! I then had him asking for a "reward" for his "good behavior"for the next 30 minutes. When we were waiting in line to board our next flight, after frantically grabbing the kids Happy Meals from McDonald's, while I was digging through my purse looking for the next set of boarding passes, Mr. R asks AGAIN, very loudly, what I'm going to give him for being good. After answering him that I would give him a roof to live under, clothes for his back, and food to eat for the behavior I expected from him at all times, he finally stopped asking when he heard the women behind us in line laughing. Then I proceeded to curse that old lady under my breath.
We finally arrived in Virginia in the late afternoon. My awesome neighbor had agreed to pick us up at the airport. When she arrived we loaded our 6 checked bags, 5 carry-ons, and 3 kids in the van and drove home. Hiccup took her first nap of the day on the drive home. Pulling into our driveway was such a relief. I think next time we fly anywhere as a family, and I'm referring to Hubby flying with us, I believe I'll book a separate flight and let him travel with the the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment