12 July 2012

Till We See You Again...

When Hubby and I got married over nine years ago I knew that I'd be saying goodbye to him many times over the course of his Navy career.  And I have.  When we were in Japan I felt like I was constantly saying goodbye as often as he went out.  The difference there was that he would come back fairly quickly.  I think the average amount of time he was gone to sea was two months.  The longest I've ever had to be away from him was five months.  Five months didn't seem so bad though because Mr. R and I visited him in Hawaii, Australia, and Guam.

Now Hubby is leaving for TAD (Temporary Active Duty) and this goodbye will be the hardest yet by far.  This goodbye will be said not only by me, but by three kids who don't quite grasp how long their dad will be gone.  Let's face it, I'm hoping that Hiccup still remembers who Daddy is when he comes home.  This separation does have its good points; there is always a silver lining.  He'll be in Mississippi awaiting his ship to be built so he'll stay stateside.  We will be able to call him everyday, or at least until his ship is finished.  He may have the opportunity to fly up and visit us.  We will hopefully get to see him for Christmas!

One thing that bothers me about his leaving is the attitude I've gotten from some wives I've spoken with.  They seem to think that Hubby's leaving is not a big deal because of those good points.  Apparently to them unless my husband is in the Middle East or on a ship out in the middle of the ocean it's not a hardship for us.  I'd like them to tell that to my kids who go to bed asking for a kiss and hug from their dad, who ask almost everyday how many more days/weeks/months until their dad comes home, who want to know why their dad can't be there for their first day of school, to take them to karate or dance, or do other countless things.  They are welcome to come over and watch my one year old laugh and hug her Daddy doll that she sleeps with because that's the only hugs she'll be getting from him.  Dealing with the everyday ups and downs of raising three young kids when you're husband is not physically present, whether he's overseas or a thousand miles away, is tough.  That phone call I might get doesn't make up for an extra pair of hands.  But that's okay, I'll get through this the same way I do every time he leaves.  Just like I'll do the next time as well.

So we all watched and waved goodbye to Hubby as he drove off to Mississippi with a piece of our hearts with him.  We will be anxiously awaiting your return home.

No comments: